Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 7 - Transformers:Dark of the Moon, The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles book #2)

Food diary:
usual breakfast
usual lunch
weight watchers Cheddar cheese stick
4 low-fat wheat wafers
1/4 cup Edamame soy beans
1 cup spaghetti with tomato sauce, four meatballs and Parmesan cheese
20 oz water
1 milkshake from Wawa
small popcorn (shared with Ben)
I went over, but that's OK.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Ben and I went to see Transformers as a kind of last minute thing.
From IMDb.com:
The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the Moon, and race against the Decepticons to reach it and to learn its secrets.
I enjoyed the movie, despite the fact that it was almost as predictable as Godzilla.  Yes. The stupid one with Matthew Broderick. (A story for another night.) I liked how they "got around" the Meghan Fox issue and I thought the new girl was MUCH better. The conspiracy theorists will love the whole "moon landing was a cover-up" plot. The beginning was really cool as it combined old news footage with new stuff shot for the movie. And of course I enjoyed hearing a Linkin Park song as a good portion of background music for parts towards the end. I don't think the movie was worth $10 though. If I'd had a choice I would have waited until Sat morning when our local theatre offers the first showing of a movie for $5, but then I'd've had to go alone and I HATE going to the movies alone.

The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles Book #2)
Before anyone asks, yes, I have read The Red Pyramid and yes, I liked that book too. One thing you need to know is that if I don't like a book I will stop reading it and I'll probably never touch it again.
Anyway...The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan is the second book in the Kane Chronicles. The Kane Chronicle follow Carter and Sadie Kane, a brother and sister combo, who are members of the House of Life and descendants of the ancient pharaohs of Egypt. They also happen to be fledgling magicians (the REAL kind) and former hosts of the Egyptian gods Horus (Carter) and Isis (Sadie). The second book has all the magic of the first and was a total page turner! Both books are definitely worth a read, even if you are an adult with no children (like me). Knowledge of ancient Egypt and the Egyptian gods is not needed as Mr. Riordan has Carter and Sadie explain what people might not know. These are wonderful books full of action, magic, adventure, just a touch of sadness (a few characters DIE) and thinly veiled references to Mr. Riordan's Percy Jackson series. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the (supposedly) last installment sometime next year. I wonder if those veiled references are going to yield a cross-over in the near future...

Goodnight all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment